Here's what's been happening:
- With the help of friends, we have continued our monthly "Know Your Rights" workshops for immigrants. We continue to provide timely information to our women about where to find assistance with immigration questions and documents. We are grateful to everyone who has helped us, including Claudia and Rosa and everyone from Make the Road New Jersey. Additionally, Sister Ann Marie and several of our women participated in the "Know Your Rights" workshop offered by Mayor Lora at City Hall. By encouraging our women to obtain information from the best possible sources, we hope to diminish their fears.
- We have completed the grant application for the fourth season of our garden.
- In February, the "Agua Viva" women's group returned and will continue for two evenings each month.
- Sister Pat Reynolds, SC, is now teaching her Tuesday quilting class via Skype! While this would not work in every situation, the relationship that Sr. Pat has formed with the women over the past 3+ years has allowed for a smooth transition into this phase of learning.
- Speaking of the quilters: Both they and the crocheters are busily preparing to be able to sell some of their items at the Diocesan Women's Conference to be held April 1 at St. Paul Inside the Walls, Madison, NJ. Our women are grateful to have been asked to sell their items there. If you're not busy on Saturday, April 1 from 9 to 1:30, why not come over to St. Paul Inside the Walls for the conference? (Our Director, Sister Ann Marie, is one of the three speakers. Click the link above for registration information.)
- We have had lots of visits from collaborators: Araceli and Joanne from the City of Passaic Department of Health have come by to talk about more formal collaboration; Liz, the new Director of Constituent Services of Assemblyman Gary Schaer, came by to see how their office could be of assistance to our women; Casey, the Associate Director of Mission Advancement for the Sisters of Christian Charity, came by to learn more about our ministry.
- Sister Elaine is coordinating our first professionally-produced promotional video, in collaboration with Caitlin Fitzgerald from the Diocese of Paterson (and made possible by a grant from the Franciscan Sisters of Peace).
There's more to report, so stay tuned . . . In the meantime, we ask for your prayers for our women and their families, as we continue to pray for all of you!